Manhattan Set To Square Off With Saint Peter's
Wappingers Falls, NY – Manhattan (15-33; 9-12 MAAC) will host Saint Peter's (0-35; 0-21 MAAC) in the final regular season series of the year at Dutchess Stadium.
Probable Jasper Pitching Match-Ups:
Game 1 (9 innings) - Thursday, May 18 - 12:00 pm
Manhattan: Junior LHP Tom Cosgrove (4-6; 4.54 ERA; 93 K/31 BB; 71.1 IP)
SPU: Senior RHP Kevin Soriano (0-6; 16.02 ERA; 27 K/22 BB; 30.1 IP)
Game 2 (7 innings) - Thursday, May 18 - 2:30 pm
Manhattan: Senior RHP Joey Rocchietti (4-4; 5.09 ERA; 66 K/12 BB; 74.1 IP)
SPU: Junior RHP Willie Krajnik (0-6; 10.92 ERA; 33 K/24 BB; 45.1 IP)
Game 3 (9 innings) - Saturday, May 20 - 12:00 pm
SPU: Senior LHP Michael Ammerman (0-5; 9.37 ERA; 33 K/14 BB; 40.1 IP)
MAAC TOURNAMENT PERISCOPE
Manhattan will most likely need to sweep this weekend's series while hoping for some help around the league as there is a possibility for a six-way tie at 12-12 for the final two playoff spots.
Seniors Jose Carrera, James D'Angelo, Shawn Kanwisher, Jason Patnick and Joey Rocchietti will be honored for their service to the program prior to Saturday's Regular Season finale.
COSGROVE NAMED MAAC PITCHER OF THE WEEK
* Cosgrove earned MAAC Pitcher of the Week honors for the second time in his career after firing his first career complete game shutout at Canisius.
* In Manhattan's 2-0 win, the Staten Island native struck out 10 while scattering just two hits over 7.0 dominating innings of work.
* Cosgrove, who needed just 98 pitches to complete his masterpiece, didn't allow a runner to get past second base while inducing eight groundouts and picking a runner off first.
* Thanks to his fourth double-figure strikeout performance of the year, Cosgrove's MAAC-leading total of 93 now places him third in the all-time Jasper single-season annals behind just former Milwaukee Brewer farmhand Chris Cody (105) and former St. Louis Cardinal Mike Parisi (104).
* In two career games against Canisius, the hard-throwing lefty has struck out 20, against just three walks, over 15.0 innings while pitching to a 0.60 ERA.
QUICK HITS (OFFENSE):
* Sophomore Fabian Pena hit a team-leading .455 (6-for-11) last weekend with three doubles at Canisius while having a hand in six of the Jaspers' nine runs (4 RBI/2 runs).
* Pena paces Manhattan with 15 multi-hit and seven multi-RBI games while batting .308 with 56 hits, 18 doubles (2nd MAAC), three home runs and 26 RBI while gunning out 35.2 percent (19-of-54) of runners on the bases.
* He is just four doubles shy of the Jaspers' single-season record that he shares with senior Jose Carrera.
* During MAAC play, Pena paces the squad in average (.347), runs (12), hits (26), doubles (7) and slugging (.507).
* Carrera has hit safely in 11-of-12 games while batting .283 (13-of-46) with six runs, three RBI, three walks, three stolen bases and two doubles during that time.
* Junior Brendan Bisset, who recently saw his team-leading 11-game hitting streak snapped, is batting .422 (19-of-45) over his last 12 games with four runs, three doubles and two RBI while posting a .489 slugging percentage and a .480 OBP.
* On the year, Bisset is hitting a team-best .321 with 53 hits, seven doubles, one triple, one home run and 22 RBI to go along with 14 multi-hit performances.
* He has also reached safely in 12-straight games and 21-of-23.
* Junior Brandon Valls earned starts in each of the final two games at Canisius and was 3-for-6 with a walk.
* Sophomore Richie Barrella is hitting .333 (16-of-48) over his last 17 games.
* Cosgrove earned his first start at the designated hitter position in the opener at Canisius and was lifted for a pinch-hitter before registering an at-bat.
QUICK HITS (PITCHING):
* Cosgrove paces the MAAC with 93 strikeouts (33rd NCAA) and an 11.73 strikeouts per nine innings average (20th NCAA) with four complete games (7th NCAA) and a 4.54 ERA over 71.1 innings while limiting opposing hitters to a .269 average.
* Over his last five games, Cosgrove has a 1.75 ERA with three wins, three complete games and 39 strikeouts over a 36.0 innings.
* Rocchietti turned in another solid outing at Canisius, striking out five while yielding two runs over 6.1 innings. He has pitched a 2.86 ERA over his last four outings with 22 strikeouts, against just three walks.
* The senior hurler is also third in the MAAC in both strikeout-to-walk ratio (5.5; 36th NCAA) and walks allowed per nine innings (1.45; 49th NCAA).
* Manhattan is 5-2 in MAAC games started by Rocchietti and 4-3 in games started by Cosgrove.
* During that time, Cosgrove has a 3.00 ERA and 60 strikeouts over 45.0 innings while opposing hitters are batting just .247. Rocchietti, meanwhile, has 44 strikeouts, against just five walks, in 47.0 innings in posting a 4.60 ERA.
* Over his last 11 games, Shawn Kanwisher has four saves, a 1.50 ERA and 12 strikeouts over 18.0 innings while limiting opposing hitters to a .155 average.
* On the year, his seven saves are just one off the school-record of eight set on two occasions and most recently by Tom Turner in 2001.
* Kanwisher also has 12 career saves and is just three shy of matching Jacob Marchus' career record of 15.
* Freshman RHP T.J. Stuart has been solid out of the bullpen in his last nine outings, pitching to a 1.93 ERA with 17 strikeouts, against six walks, over 14.0 innings of action.
AMONG THE LEADERS
* Rocchietti is the most experienced pitcher in the MAAC and ranks fifth among active NCAA playes with 51 careers starts and sixth with 319.2 innings of work.
* Carrera is fourth among active NCAA players with 71 steals.
* Carrera hit .600 (9-of-15) with six runs, a double, home run, five RBI, two walks and three stolen bases over three games against Saint Peter's a year ago en route to earning MAAC Player of the Week honors.
* For his career, the Miami native is hitting .591 (13-of-22) against Peacock pitching with nine runs, six RBI, six stolen bases and five walks.
* Senior Jason Patnick is hitting .364 (8-of-22) with four runs, two doubles, a triple, home run and four RBI against SPU pitching.
* Rocchietti has a 1.93 ERA over 14.0 innings against Saint Peter's.
* Manhattan has won six-straight against the Peacocks and 16 in a row at home.
* However, the teams will be playing at Dutchess Stadium for the first time.
* Head Coach Jim Duffy is 11-1, all-time, against SPU.
PENA NAMED TO JOHNNY BENCH AWARD LIST
Pena was named to the official watch list for the 2017 Johnny Bench Award presented by BaseballSavings.com as announced by the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission.
Carrera was tabbed as one of the top-five stolen base threats in the Division I ranks by the NCAA and is fourth among active players with 71 stolen bases. Click HERE for the entire article.
Manhattan returns 25 letterwinners, including seven starting position players and their entire weekend rotation from a year ago. Click HERE for the entire prospectus.
PENA GARNERS PRESEASON HONORS
On the heels of his landmark rookie campaign, Pena was tabbed as the MAAC Preseason Player of the Year in the annual Coaches Poll as well as by Baseball America, Collegiate Baseball, D1 Baseball and Perfect Game.
Pena also was selected as the No. 1 MAAC Pro Prospect for the 2018 Major League Baseball (MLB) Draft by D1Baseball.Com and was slated as the 130th top collegiate prospect for the 2018. Cosgrove was also slated as the top prospect for the 2017 MLB Draft by Baseball America and as the fourth-best by D1Baseball.Com. Additionally, Carrera was picked as the No. 10 pro prospect in the circuit by Baseball America.
The Jaspers welcome nine student-athletes to the fold this year, including five pitchers and four position players.
MAAC PRESEASON POLL
Manhattan was tabbed to finish fourth and return to the MAAC Tournament in the annual preseason Coaches Poll for the second-straight year and fourth time in Duffy's tenure in Riverdale.
2006 TEAM INDUCTED TO HALL OF FAME
The landmark 2006 Jaspers' Baseball team that upset nationally ranked Nebraska en route to a second-place finish at the Lincoln Regional was selected to the Manhattan College Athletic Hall of Fame this past fall.
If Manhattan qualifies for the MAAC Championship, the Jaspers would play at either 12:00 pm or 3:30 pm on Wednesday, May 24 at Sal Maglie Stadium in Niagara Falls, NY.