Cosgrove Drafted By San Diego In 12th Round
Staten Island Advance Article
Secaucus, NJ - Junior LHP Tom Cosgrove (Staten Island, NY / Monsignor Farrell) was selected by the San Diego Padres in the 12th round (pick #348) of the 2017 Major League Baseball Draft on Wednesday.
A Second Team All-MAAC selection this season, Cosgrove matched former Milwaukee Brewers farmhand Chris Cody's single-season school record with a MAAC-leading 105 strikeouts en route to posting a 5-7 record with five complete games and a 4.38 ERA over 84.1 innings.
The Staten Island native also limited opposing hitters to a .265 average, twice was named MAAC Pitcher of the Week and recorded double-digit strikeouts four times.
Cosgrove is the first Manhattan student-athlete to be drafted since Anthony Vega was selected by the Baltimore Orioles in the 30th round (pick #912) of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft. The Staten Island native is also the 15th Jasper to be selected by a MLB organization.
* Cosgrove's selection also comes on his 21st birthday.
* This marks the second-straight year, Manhattan has had a member of the program selected as incoming student-athlete Tai Tiedemann was selected in the eighth round by the Texas Rangers.
* Cosgrove will most likely start his career with the Tri-City Dust Devils (Pasco, Washington) of the Northwest League or one of the team's two Arizona league rookie teams.
* If Cosgrove forgoes his final year of eligibility, he would finish his collegiate career sixth in the all-time Jasper annals with 225 strikeouts.
* The third drafted player from the MAAC, Cosgrove will most likely be teammates with Rider's Nick Margevicius, who was taken in the seventh round by the Padres.