Manhattan Set For Series At Iona
New Rochelle, NY – Manhattan (9-25; 5-4 MAAC) returns to MAAC action with three games at longtime rival Iona (12-15; 5-4 MAAC) this weekend starting with a 12:00 pm doubleheader on Saturday, April 22.
Probable Pitching Match-Ups:
Game 1 (9 innings) - Saturday, April 22 - 12:00 pm
Manhattan: Senior RHP Joey Rocchietti (2-3; 5.83 ERA; 37 K/9 BB; 46.1 IP)
Iona: Senior RHP Bill Maier (4-3; 2.44 ERA; 30 K/6 BB; 44.1 IP)
Game 2 (7 innings) - Saturday, April 22 - 3:00 pm
Manhattan: Junior LHP Tom Cosgrove (1-5; 6.02 ERA; 59 K/23 BB; 43.1 IP)
Iona: Junior RHP Joe DeRosa (0-3; 3.78 ERA; 20 K/2 BB; 33.1 IP
Game 3 (9 innings) - Sunday, April 23 - 12:00 pm
Manhattan: Senior RHP Matt Simonetti (2-2; 6.65 ERA; 16 K/6 BB; 21.2 IP)
Iona: Junior RHP Patrick Ryan (3-1; 2.31 ERA; 34 K/18 BB; 35.0 IP)
QUICK HITS (OFFENSE):
* Since senior Jose Carrera has five stolen bases in his last seven games and is fourth among active players with 67 in his career.
* Sophomore Fabian Pena paces Manhattan in hitting (.336), hits (44), runs (19), doubles (14), OBP (.393), multi-hit games (11) and multi-RBI games (6) while reaching base safely in all but six games this year.
* Senior Evan Brown has reached base safely in a team-high matching 12 games and is hitting .318 on the year with a 10 doubles, a team-high three home runs and 15 RBI.
* Junior Brendan Bisset has hit safely in a team-high matching nine games while batting a team-high .395 (15-of-38) during that time while raising his average 47 points to its current clip of .304.
* Senior Matt Forlow had a big weekend at Maine, batting .583 (7-of-12) with three runs, one double, two triples and four RBI while slugging 1.000 with a .643 OBP.
QUICK HITS (PITCHING):
* \Cosgrove didn’t allow an earned run in his last appearance at Maine, working a season-high 8.0 innings in notching his second complete game of the year.
* Individually, Cosgrove continues to pace the MAAC with 59 strikeouts (77nd NCAA) and 12.25 strikeouts per nine innings (19th NCAA).
* Senior RHP Shawn Kanwisher has been perfect over his last four appearances, recording two saves while striking out five over 6.0 innings.
* Freshman RHP T.J. Stuart has been impressive over his last five outings, pitching to a 2.57 ERA with 10 strikeouts over 7.0 innings of action.
* Since the start of the 2007 season, Manhattan is 24-6 against Iona, including 12-3 in New Rochelle.
* Head Coach Jim Duffy is 10-5, all-time, against the Gaels.
* Last year, Carrera hit .500 (6-of-12) with three doubles, five RBI and three runs against Iona and for his career is batting .455 (10-of-22) against the Gaels with four doubles, seven RBI and five runs.
* Cosgrove and senior LHP Joe Jacques earned wins last year against the Gaels, combining for 11 strikeouts over 10.0 innings of two-run ball.
* The Gaels are a team built on pitching as their three weekend pitchers have combined for seven wins, a 2.80 ERA and 84 strikeouts, against just 26 walks, over 111.2 innings of work.
* Seth Hoagland (.333, 20 hits, 14 RBI) and Fran Kinsley (.326, 18 runs, 4 doubles, 2 home runs, 20 RBI) pace the offense.
* Jon Budesa is 10-for-19 in his career against Manhattan with four runs and three RBI.
PENA NAMED TO JOHNNY BENCH AWARD LIST
Pena was named to the official watch list for the 2017 Johnny Bench Award presented by BaseballSavings.com as announced by the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission.
Carrera tabbed as one of the top-five stolen base threats in the Division I ranks by the NCAA. Click HERE for the entire article.
Manhattan returns 25 letterwinners, including seven starting position players and their entire weekend rotation from a year ago. Click HERE for the entire prospectus.
PENA GARNERS PRESEASON HONORS
On the heels of his landmark rookie campaign, Pena was tabbed as the MAAC Preseason Player of the Year in the annual Coaches Poll as well as by Baseball America, Collegiate Baseball, D1 Baseball and Perfect Game.
Pena also was selected as the No. 1 MAAC Pro Prospect for the 2018 Major League Baseball (MLB) Draft by D1Baseball.Com and was slated as the 130th top collegiate prospect for the 2018. Cosgrove was also slated as the top prospect for the 2017 MLB Draft by Baseball America and as the fourth-best by D1Baseball.Com. Additionally, Carrera was picked as the No. 10 pro prospect in the circuit by Baseball America.
The Jaspers welcome nine student-athletes to the fold this year, including five pitchers and four position players.
MAAC PRESEASON POLL
Manhattan was tabbed to finish fourth and return to the MAAC Tournament in the annual preseason Coaches Poll for the second-straight year and fourth time in Duffy's tenure in Riverdale.
2006 TEAM INDUCTED TO HALL OF FAME
The landmark 2006 Jaspers' Baseball team that upset nationally ranked Nebraska en route to a second-place finish at the Lincoln Regional was selected to the Manhattan College Athletic Hall of Fame this past fall.
Manhattan welcomes NYIT to Dutchess Stadium for a doubleheader on Tuesday, April 25 with first pitch slated for 4:00 pm.